Administrative Union Organizer
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
No. of Openings: One (1)
Deadline: March 29th 2019
Are you a quick-thinking passionate advocate? Do you thrive in an environment that blends an encyclopedic knowledge of details with planning and strategy? Can you provide high quality representation to members in District 1199C institutions? Can you work to create a healthy workforce through collective incentives to take health screenings and reduce the causes of chronic conditions? Are you able to reach out to non-unionized healthcare workers to bring them into our movement? Can you educate members about health and healthcare issues, mobilize voters and raise money for political action to transform healthcare and strengthen healthcare jobs?
This position exists in our Philadelphia headquarters.
- Build relationships and communicate with Delegates and members at District 1199C institutions.
- Mobilize members behind contracts that provide a rising standard of living for healthcare workers while embracing change, quality and the shared mission of healthcare employers.
- Plan and coordinate internal and/or external organizing campaigns or components of contract campaigns including leadership of member organizing committees, planning and execution of member actions, and the ability to anticipate and respond to employer tactics.
- Identify, recruit, train and develop worksite Delegates and leaders.
- Lead, motivate and mobilize worksite Delegates, leaders and members in internal and external organizing, politics, community alliance building and other union activities.
- Develop and maintain effective communication networks in worksites, including writing and distributing leaflets, notices, emails and other materials among worksite Delegates, leaders, and members.
- Work with worksite Delegates and leaders to represent members through the grievance and arbitration system as well as mobilizing members to take action around issues in the worksite.
- Process grievances up to and including final level of arbitration, including investigating, preparing witnesses, and the general development of cases.
- Participate in voter outreach, including phone banking, precinct walking and GOTV efforts.
- May be assigned to field, Political Organizing or Representation activities as necessary. The ideal candidate will possess the following qualifications:
- A deep commitment to social justice, cultural diversity and an unwavering enthusiasm for bold social change work.
- A winning personality and the demonstrated ability to develop positive relationships with members, Delegates and leaders.
- Commitment to fighting for workers’ rights and activist experience.
- Be able to inspire, challenge and develop members into leaders, to lead teams and effectively communicate with others.
- Has personal initiative, independent judgment, accountability, planning and organizational willingness to embrace new technologies.
- Ability to establish and maintain rapport and credibility with diverse demographic groups, as well as with professional, technical, administrative and service workers.
- Ability to work long, irregular hours.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
- Ability to manage a heavy workload with competing priorities and deadlines.
- Valid driver’s license, car and insurance.
- BA degree and/or relevant labor organizing experience.
- Strong analytical, writing and interpersonal skills.
- Familiarity with word processing and database software.
How to Apply:
Please submit a cover letter with at least three (3) references to Executive Vice President Chris Woods via the button below:
District 1199C is committed to building a diverse workforce. We offer excellent benefits, including health benefits for employee and family, pension, liberal paid time off and competitive salary. All applicants must be able to furnish proof of authorization to work in the United States.